Meal prepping has become extremely popular in recent years. Many people do it for convenience reasons and some do it to help them eat healthier. However, some people are hesitant to try meal prepping for several reasons. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of meal prep.
- It is healthier for you. If you are cooking for yourself, you know exactly what is going in your food. That way you can avoid excess salt, sugar, and fat.
- It makes eating healthy more convenient. If healthy meals are also cooked, portioned out, and ready to eat, you’ll be less likely to make an unhealthy choice, especially if you have a busy schedule.
- It saves money. Sure, you have to buy groceries every week, but it’s definitely cheaper than eating out all the time. Plus, you can buy in bulk and use the same ingredients in multiple recipes to get the most out of your dollar and reduce waste.
- You have more time during the week. Dedicating one day to cook means that you don’t have to cook for the rest of the week, giving you more time to spend on other things.
- It is time consuming. Grocery shopping and cooking for an entire week takes time, and usually requires a few hours to do.
- It requires planning. In order to be the more efficient, you must plan out what meals you will be prepping and what ingredients you’ll need to buy for those meals. For example, it would be smart to include recipes that can use one ingredient in different ways. Otherwise, you might just end up using it once and never touching it again.
- You need to cook. This could also be a pro if you enjoy cooking, but some people lack experience in the kitchen and meal prep can be intimidating.
- It can get repetitive. Some people need variety in their food and meal prep can get boring when you’re eating the same thing every day. The more variety you want, the more time you’ll spend cooking different recipes.
It the next couple of blog posts, we’ll be sharing some easy recipes that are great for meal prep. They’re healthy, easy to make, and keep well in the fridge. Stay tuned!